Wednesday, June 28, 2006

What A Weekend

Nathan’s birthday thing went pretty well…not exactly as planned, but hey, the best things come when not planned, right? We ate at a park surrounding some old ruins of a monastery in Winnipeg. It was beautiful…the old building, the river, the weather. Perfect. The problems came when we started shopping for Nathan’s birthday gifts…my first mistake? I just assumed that there was a Cd Plus in St. Vital Mall. There sure isn’t. So we went to other music stores (they don’t give you that stamp on your card like Cd Plus, but whatever…). I specified that Nathan was supposed to buy the new Chris Tomlin cd (which he’s been wanting) but we couldn’t find it anywhere. We even drove to Brian Reimer’s. No such luck. So we went on to the next clue…a book. Chapters is right there in the mall, I knew that. But do you think they had any of the books that Nathan was looking for? No, of course not. So here again, we had a problem. We decided to drive to Blessings, which was not in the plan, and there he found both the cd and the book that he was looking for. Good…now we’re caught up. Then we went back to the mall and I gave him his next clue…we went to the car and I gave him his grandma’s birthday card and his parents’ gift. Then we went back to the mall to find the first season of CSI, but of course that wasn’t in the first two or three stores we looked in either! What is with that mall? If they’d just built a Cd Plus, my life would have been SO much easier! No matter. Nathan said it was the best birthday he’d had in years, so that’s good. After shopping we went to the Olive Garden (which was SUPER full) but we had a lovely dinner and didn’t have to pay the $45 bill afterwards because we had a gift card (thanks to our junior youth leaders). So that was Nathan’s birthday. Oh, and of course when we got home and for a few hours on Sunday, we watched CSI…what else?

While we were in the city, looking around, I saw a sign for a 50% off sale at Shoppers Optical. This was a wonderful thing because Nathan and I have been looking for glasses for me since February and my prescription expires in August. We had been in there a few weeks ago and found some glasses that we both liked. They were still there, and much too expensive, but with the half off sale, the price was perfect. So all that story just to say that I got new glasses! They are fun. I like them.

My brother has been down for a few days. I always forget how much I love hanging out with him. He’s just great! He came down last week Wednesday and then left on Friday to drive down to St. Paul, MN for a car show. He came back Sunday evening and is leaving tomorrow morning. It has been wonderful having him down. Nathan’s parents are coming down on Thursday evening and then continuing their drive to Ontario Friday morning. Then, next Monday (July 3) we leave for Ontario for three weeks! I’m very excited for a bit of a break. Even with having fewer evenings in the past week, I’m feeling like there’s something I should be doing. It seems wrong to just be able to sit around and watch a movie in the evening! I guess we need this break very, very much!

No comments: