Thursday, July 06, 2006

Deserts and an Oasis

So today I was listening to the speaker here at conference, and I got thinking. (What I was thinking doesn't have anything to do with what the speaker was saying, but that happens often, so it wasn't anything out of the ordinary.) I was thinking about how much of the time in the past eight months I have felt like I was in a spirtual desert. It's a lonely time, and one where you just want to jump into a big, cold, deep, clean, refreshing pool of water SO badly (just figurtively...I wasn't having weird cravings for swimming pools). I realized that whenever I find myself feeling like I'm trapped in a desert, I need to create my own Oasis...my own special time with my Lord every day...a sacred time that I honor like nothing else. This could look like me getting up at a certain time every morning and going for a walk on country roads, or sitting outside each afternoon in the sun and worshiping God, or even just setting aside an appointment each evening to curl up with God in my living room and spend a few minutes (or hours) with him. Time when I just soak myself in his goodness/his God-ness/his "moisture". And I need to be deliberate. Water is the only thing that can keep you alive in a desert. Without water, you're dry. Remember that.

No comments: