Friday, June 02, 2006

Rollerskating, Football Games and Velvet Elvis

I'm sitting at work as I write this. Yes, I have lots of time to just sit and think and write. And yes, I am allowed to just sit and think and write. We are in the midst of training the person who will be taking my job at the end of June (thanks, Stephanie!), so she is doing the work that I used to do and I am left sitting (and thinking...and writing).
So last night Nathan and I went rollerskating with our junior youth...that was fun. They have so much energy! I guess that's a good thing, because it means that they are normal, right? We just need to channel that energy... I re-learned there that I'm not terribly good (or maybe I am terribly good) at rollerskating. I re-lived Leah's 12th birthday party when we skated at Rollerworld in Saskatoon for hours to songs like "Little Red Boat (to China)" and "Chica Cherry Cola". (I'm sure those aren't the titles, but some of you may know what I mean) I felt SO cool...
Tonight, Nathan and I are going to the Blue Bombers game in Winnipeg. We were offered tickets, so, being the Mennonite pastors that we are, of course we are going. I've never been to a professional game of any kind, so it should be pretty fun. Nathan says they're pretty good seats, so we'll see.
Yesterday and today have been pretty slow days for me at work, as I mentioned before. So, in my sittings, I both started and finished the book "Velvet Elvis" by Rob Bell. Very good book. I have actually had some very good God time here at my reception desk at work. I would definitely recommend that book. It takes thinking, but it's easy to read, so it's nice. You can read it anywhere and not get totally lost. Anyway, I thought he made some good points, so I'm going to end off with sharing a quote that struck me. Enjoy and have a great weekend!

"In the accounts of Jesus' life, often the larger the crowds get, the more demanding and difficult his teachings get. In John 6 he gives a teaching that is so hard to swallow, everybody but a few leave him. He is constantly trying to find out who really wants it. And so he keeps pushing and prodding and questioning and putting it out there until some leave and the diehards stay. We never find him chasing after someone, trying to convice them that he really wasn't that serious, that it was just a figure of speech. He didn't really mean sell your possessions and give to the poor. If anybody didn't have a Messiah complex, it was Jesus."p.169

No comments: