Monday, June 12, 2006

14 Days and Counting...

Today feels good. I finished my 15th last day of work! Yeah, I know it’s childish and yeah, I know it will make the time go by more slowly but I’m counting down the days until I’m done work. For those of you who don’t know, I’m currently working at Friesens. It’s a book printing company. I started in November working mornings in reception (answering phones and administrative stuff) and the afternoons I was in accounting doing support work. By February, I had dropped the afternoon part of the job because I was just getting to tired with working all day and then youth many evenings. Very quickly in, though, I learned that it just wasn’t the job for me, no matter what the hours. I guess it’s because I’d rather be the one organizing and telling myself what needs to get done rather than being the one being given projects. Like Marsha always said through high school, “You really are a leader, Niki…just a quiet one.” I’m finally learning just how true that is. I really don’t like following and being told what to do all the time.
Of course, the question that everyone asks when they hear that I’ll be done at Friesens is “What’s next?” Well, this summer Nathan and I will be away for a number of weeks, so working around that doesn’t really pay. I need some time off to rest rather than running from Ontario and then back to work and then off to Saskatchewan and then back to work and then off to somewhere else and then back to work… It doesn’t really pay. So my plan is to relax in the summer as much as possible (and maybe carry that into the fall a bit) and then look into taking a financial advising course. Since being away from Mom and Dad, and especially since getting married, I have discovered my love for personal finances. Weird, I know. The thought of looking at our budget and playing with the numbers, and figuring out what works best financially, for an entire afternoon just brings a smile to my face. So, I think I’ll try my hand in that field. It’ll allow me to work independently, and more or less as much as I want. (More now, less once we have kids) So that’s my plans right now, for all you who were wondering. We’ll see how it goes. At any rate, I won’t be answering nearly as many phone calls! I didn’t even like phones when I started…what was I thinking?
In my last post, I wrote at the end about thinking of something to make for supper. Well, Bonnie, you sympathized with my dilemma of always trying to think of something. I may have a solution…See, Nathan was trying to help me out, so he found this website: Kraft Canada. I haven’t really tried it out, but apparently you just type in three ingredients (whatever you have around or feel like eating) and what meal you’re making and it’ll give you suggestions (with the recipe right there!). Handy dandy! Could be worth a try… Nathan’s been wanting pizza for a while though, so that’s what it’ll be tonight. Mmm…pizza…:P

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the financial advising thing must come from the Reimer side of the family because I love to sit and budget too! Weird...but fun all at the same time!

Bonnie said...

LOL ... definitely a Reimer thing. I drive Darryl crazy with all my budgeting and number crunching!! :)
Oh, and Kraft Canada is a wonderful website ... a wealth of recipes can be found there!!