Sunday, February 22, 2009

Stones

There is a time for everything,
and a season for every activity under heaven:
...
a time to weep and a time to laugh,
a time to mourn and a time to dance,
...
a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,
a time to embrace and a time to refrain,
...
a time to tear and a time to mend,
a time to be silent and a time to speak...
(Ecclesiastes 3)

As Ecclesiastes puts it so well, there truly is a time for everything. And in the past months/years, I have been learning to embrace each season as it comes. Of course it makes perfect logical sense, but to really live by this is much, much more difficult.

Fall was a season of lightening the load; of humbling myself; of allowing people into the secrets and receiving their care and support. There were a few months when I felt that I needed desperately to share what was happening in my mind and heart. (I was about to explode if I hadn't!)

In the weeks that followed the sharing of these "secrets" as I called them, I felt such tremendous relief and encouragement. It was the season for sharing, or "to speak" as Ecclesiastes puts it, and I embraced that. A time to scatter the stones which were my thoughts, and trust that they would fall on the right ears.

And now I feel that I am entering a season to be silent. A time to gather these "thought stones" to myself and to ponder what they mean and what God is saying to me through them. It's time to turn these things quietly over in my mind and with those close to me.

I assure you, God is moving. He is doing amazing things and I want to respond faithfully and with worship.

Will my blog be silent? No. Will I not share what God is doing? No. But I will be treading lightly. I will be holding certain thoughts close. Do I regret anything that I've shared here? Not at all. Thanks for riding along this journey with me. I invite you to continue with me as I enter a new phase of life in just a few months.

1 comment:

Trev and Rebekah said...

I have learned the importance of choosing who I share the most intimate things in my life with.
Enjoy your time with Jesus in this season.