Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Random Thoughts From Second Street…

- My shoulders are stiff from walking around on an inch of ice for two days…but I can’t really complain, because the ice means that the temperature was above freezing…which means that it is warm…which means that there really is such a thing as spring! There is still hope for summer…sometimes in winter I forget that warm weather is real…it’s not just a wonderful dream that I once had…

- I haven’t been working a lot lately. Winter is a lot slower around here than summer is, so I’ve gone from 35 hours a week in summer down to about 15 hours a week now. I’m enjoying having more time at home to figure out what we’ll try to sell at our garage sale, what we’ll move, and what we’ll take. I’ve also enjoyed being able to have supper ready for Nathan and doing extra things again like baking buns/bread, keeping things not only tidy, but clean, and keeping the laundry done and put away. And God is taking care of us financially, despite both of us making less than we were six months ago, so that’s an extra blessing!

- What am I reading? Hmm…I just finished “Blindness”, by Jose Saramango. It was VERY well written and it was an interesting read…there were no names throughout the entire book, yet the characters never got confusing. There were other things that the author did as well which made the reader feel blind while reading the book. I definitely recommend it. Then, I read “The Secret Life of Bees” by Sue Monk Kidd which I also recommend. It, too, is fiction, and also a very well written book. (It was refreshing to read two books in a row that were both so well written! It makes me more picky about the next book I read though!) If you haven’t read these and enjoy deep, thought-provoking literature, you could read either of them. And if you just want to lose yourself in a story, which I sometimes do too, these are also good for that. Now, I’m working my way through “When the Heart Waits” also by Sue Monk Kidd. I’ve only read one chapter, but it is also a worthwhile read. When God asks you to wait, we try to busy ourselves with waiting, thus finding it difficult to wait. What we need to do is just be still…don’t think about waiting as doing nothing…just deliberately…silently…wait.

- I have been craving pizza lately…and I had it three days in a row over the weekend. I can’t believe that I spent the first 21 years of my live loathing the very existence of pizza!

- I cannot make cinnamon rolls…since I’ve been married, I’ve tried almost a dozen times, and I only remember one instance where they actually worked. I just don’t understand…I follow the recipe to the letter (and I NEVER do that!), and they’re either dry or not cooked in the middle (yet crispy on the outside). I got a headache last night because I was so mad that they didn’t work yet again! I put so much effort into making them and then I have to throw them away because they flop. Nathan suggested that maybe it’s the oven I have. I’d like to go with that explanation…it is pretty old and weird…but why, then, does everything else turn out wonderfully???

Yup, so those are some of my random thoughts. Of course there are thoughts of children and moving and school and such…but random is sometimes a nice break from the world of seriousness…

My challenge to you, should you choose to accept:
Think of a random thing from your life. Got it? Is it really random? Something that you’re not stressing about at all? Ok. Good. Now click on the “Comments” link at the end of this post, and share your random thought with me. Do it…

8 comments:

Alicia Buhler said...

It's supposed to get to +17C today and I'm so excited (no brag, just fact)! I always love that feeling in spring when you can take off your winter coat and long johns and it feels as though you can move again.

Anonymous said...

At our old apartment, nothing I ever made worked out. It was the oven's fault. Not mine. I promise! My cookies always burned, even if I put them in for 1/4 of the time. And I NEVER burn cookies! now that I have a new stove, everything cooks just fine!

Ben said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sister C said...

My kitchen is clean! Yes this is very random or should I say rare.

Niki the deleted comment was me ... ops.

Marsha said...

I hate holey socks...yet I always wear them because I never get around to buying socks. I'm kinda picky about socks and what i will wear, so I just keep wearing my holey socks.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...

I was in the city last night with friends and I laughed so much that today my stomach hurts.

At work, I really enjoy watching vehicles slide and ALMOST run in the the Credit Union when they try to park in front. Windows keep me sane.

I enjoyed your post today. Made me smile!!

p.s. Let me know when you have your garage sale. I love those too!!

Kelsie-Lynn said...

I agree it is the oven. It has to be :) So my random thing...

I hate socks. I won't wear them unless i have too and I love flip flops and would wear them all year round if Tim let me :) I was just wishing for a new pair...that's what made me think of it :)

leah said...

I like your random thoughts :)

My random thought is that growing up has made me a big wussy! Remember the days when the snow would start to melt and we would go swimming in the ditches, even though it was FREEZING!? Now I'm a big wuss, I just want to stay wrapped in a blanket all day, and I don't like being cold.
That's my random thought.

Have a great day!!

-Leah