Thursday, February 26, 2009

O Canada!

Of all the things I'll miss about Canada...
  • Carmilk bars
  • Heinz ketchup
  • Canadian Currency (specifically loonies and toonies)
  • Good iced tea
  • Canadian culture
  • Eh?
  • Health care
  • CBC
  • Tim Hortons' chili with country bun
  • Spruce/pine trees
  • learning French from shampoo bottles/cereal boxes/everything
  • Canadian Lumber, Canadian Tire, Real Canadian Superstore (etc)
  • Holidays that, according to my calendar, are only Canadian...
St. David's Day
Easter Monday
Victoria Day
Canada Day
August Long Weekend
Labour Day ("Labour" spelled with a "u")
Thanksgiving Day (in the thankful month)
Remembrance Day
St. Andrew's Day
Boxing Day
  • Small towns with 30 people, not 30 000 people

I will not miss…
  • The winters.
  • cold
  • snow
  • wind
  • ice
  • freezing rain


ICK. When I walk outside and the wind is blowing my hair and cutting into my skin and the ice makes walking and driving near impossible and I shovel the driveway, only to have the wind throw the snow right back in my face and small icicles form on my eyelashes within seconds…I just remind myself that next winter I won’t have to deal with any of this.


I’m hoping that being away from winter gives me a new appreciation for it. Otherwise, I’m not sure how I’ll be able to come back after two years!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had no idea caramilk bars were Canadian...

Just think of all the fun things you'll get to have in the States... like Obama for president and Target and Bath and Body Works and... I'm out of ideas. At least no winter!

Anonymous said...

I will miss YOU! I know we didn't get to really know each other that well, and that's too bad. I should have made more effort. I WILL look forward to continued blog posts. Will you have internet access out there? Admittedly, I am totally jealous about the no winter thing. I can send you some of the items you listed if you are ever hankering for them.

Anonymous said...

No caramilk bars??? That is pure tragedy. You're going to have to bring over a stockpile!

You will be missed!

Marsha said...

Yes...I would bring ketchup over too. There is nothing like heinz ketchup. really. I can't eat anything but!

Anonymous said...

Oooh ketchup chips too! Those are Canadian.

Alicia Buhler said...

Wow, you're still in Canada and already anticipating what you'll miss?! Just for the record, they do have Heinz ketchup down here, it's just a different recipe so don't be fooled. Aero and Coffee Crisp are also Canadian chocolate bars. Instead of French on cereal boxes, you'll probably see a lot of Spanish which opens up a whole new world! Lets see...what else...I think part of the fun of moving is discovering what's different and what you miss, even the most surprising things. It really helps you to see what you take forgranted. But it's also exciting to learn of all the new stuff available to you!

Trev and Rebekah said...

You'll miss smarties too! They call Rocket candies smarties.

Anonymous said...

#7 on the list..... 10 hrs = approx. $6,000 in ER cost for me. Yup, good private health insurance would be an idea to have.