Thursday, December 11, 2008

O for Grace to Trust Him More...

I just want to start by saying a huge THANK YOU to “H” who’s blessing (unexpected Amazon gift certificate) came to fruition today. I received in the mail, from Amazon, the book “Hannah’s Hope” by Jennifer Saake. I don't know much about the book except that it’s supposed to be really good. I look forward to reading it and perhaps I’ll eventually let you all know what I think about it! Thanks again, H, you’ve blessed me greatly!

As I was listening to God this morning during my devos, a song came to my head. I took that as God speaking, because it spoke directly to what I was thinking and asking God about.


They that wait upon the Lord

Shall renew their strength

They will mount up with wings as eagles

They will run and not grow weary

They will walk and not faint

Teach me Lord, teach me Lord, to wait


I couldn’t remember the second verse to it, and when I went online to find it, I couldn’t find it anywhere! This has led me to believe that the church I attended most of my life has a very good song-writer in their congregation…on numerous occasions I have tried to find lyrics to supposed second verses only to find that only one verse exists. Hmm…it’s a mystery. Here’s what I remember of the second verse...if anyone knows more of the words (dad?) could you please let me know? It’s driving me crazy!


(second verse)

Teach me, Lord, to wait

Down on my knees

Teach me not to rely… … ..

... ... ...

... ... ...

but to wait in prayer for an answer from You.


Before I checked for the words online, I thought it might, just maybe, be a hymn. So I checked the hymnal. As I was looking for “They that wait…” (which wasn’t there, obviously) I found three or four hymns - right where that song would have been - about trusting Jesus. Interesting, no? Needless to say, I checked them out.


Side-note: I’ve always loved hymns. No, I haven’t always understood them (though this understanding and appreciation grew a lot throughout high school) and yes, I agree that some can be a drag to sing…and yes, the theology behind some can be questionable…BUT despite those things, there have certainly been hymns that have spoken to me as much as (and occasionally more than) a lot of current worship songs. I think those churches who drop hymns all together are losing something wonderful… something that shouldn’t be overdone, and shouldn't be done so poorly that 98% of the congregation gags at the thought of them, but nevertheless wonderful.


Anyway, enough of my hymn rant. I just thought I’d share some of the words to one of the hymns that I found this morning. Such a good reminder to trust...


‘Tis So Sweet to Trust In Jesus

‘Tis so sweet to trust in Jesus,

Just to take Him at His Word;

Just to rest upon His promise,

Just to know, “Thus saith the Lord.”


Jesus, Jesus, how I trust Him;
How I’ve proved Him o’er and o’er

Jesus, Jesus, precious Jesus!

O for grace to trust Him more.


I’m so glad I learned to trust Thee,

Precious Jesus, Savior, Friend;

And I know that Thou art with me,

Wilt be with me to the end.


O for grace to trust Him more.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Teach me Lord to wait, down on my knees
Till in your own good time you'll answer my pleas
Help me not to rely on what others do
But to wait in pray for an answer from you

Unknown said...

Niki, I wish I lived closer to you. I miss you. And I love your blogs. That is all!

Anonymous said...

Ah, it looks like someone else already found the words for you. Perfect! Enjoy your book - maybe we can talk about it on Wednesday if you get some of it read. I'm not done reading yet.

Niki said...

So I'm not crazy...there are more words! Thanks!

Janelle said...

i really want to read that one too! next on my list!

Trev and Rebekah said...

I just ordered that book and am excited to read it.

Unknown said...

Ooh - P.S. - Jeremy has the lens you want for Christmas, and *drool* - such nice bokeh and a great focus for portraits. I am still uber jealous that he has my dream camera. He tries to say I can use it whenever I want. . . but my love is actually quite protective of it :).

Sylvia said...

Please bring the book along at Christmas so I can peruse it too!