Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Thrown off (like a snowball)

Do days ever hit when you are having a great morning and life seems like it couldn't get any better (or not significantly better) and you feel at peace and joyful and everything good...and then something teeny-tiny happens. Something that souldn't be significant at all. Something that was not intended to throw off your day and should not throw off your day...but your day is thrown off. And once your day is thrown off, you just want to go home and cry. But you can't.

And then everything starts to rub you the wrong way and makes you want to cry more. Like the way your shirt is bunched in your sweater and how your sweater is then bunched in your jacket and how that is cutting off the circulation at the top of your arm and the whole bottom of your arm is getting cold and numb. Or how the wind is so cold as you walk to work that it takes your breath away and it's only October and you have the rest of winter to look forward to.

When your day gets thrown off, everything gets blown out of proportion. The things that really matter, matter a bit less in light of the small things that are huge, big deals today. And it's suddenly like a big, wet, sticky snowball that was tapped with one finger and is now barreling down a hill, growing and growing with each turn. It is out of control...but you're pretty sure that tears would stop it.

Yeah, if I could have a good cry, the snowball would stop, my priorities would line up, and my day would be good once again. Just a couple tears. Squeeze, eyes, squeeze. You've gotta have something. But wait, I can't escape this place I'm in. I don't have a corner to go cry in. So I stay, become more and more bothered by the little things, and wait until I'm home at the end of the day...when I don't feel like crying anymore.

And then it's ok because I'm home. I'm safe. I can forget about the outside world and wrap myself in a blanket which will become my cocoon for the night. Mmm...and then my bad day is good again. It's no longer thrown off. The little things no longer bother me. What's important is truly important again. The little things are just that: little.

No more snowballs...no more winter...no more bunched sleeves or cold arms.

3 comments:

The Schmidts said...

You are an awesome writer, Niki ... very creative, good style, and easy to read. You are gifted in that way!
I had a nice long visit with your mom this morning! It was good!
Take care, my friend, I'm praying for you.

Trev and Rebekah said...

You are a good writer. How do you put that picture on of the snow ball and where did you look for it?
hope you have a better day.

Niki said...

Hey Rebekah...the picture of the snowball...I added it like a normal picture. I'm sure that's not what you were asking about though. I google searched images for "snowball downhill" or something like that. Go google.