Wednesday, September 17, 2008

He's still working on me, to make me what I ought to be...


He's still working on me,
to make me what I ought to be.
It took him just a week to make the moon and the stars
the earth and the sun and Jupiter and Mars
How loving and patient
He must be
cause He's still working on me.
There really ought to be
a sign upon my heart
don't judge me yet
there's an unfinished part.

I'll be perfect
just you wait and see,
cause he's still working on me.

My big sister and little brother and I used to sing this song together in church. One of us would have a saw, one a hammer and one a paintbrush. (the paintbrush was the coveted item) We would saw/hammer/paint as we sang. Pretty cute, I imagine. Anyway, at the time I thought that the song was just talking about God still working on us because we were still kids. Today these words came back to me and I realized that it's still true for adults and it will always be true until the very end. Until we've reached the goal.

So lately, God has been working on both Nathan and I very intensely. And when God works that intensely, usually it hurts, because he has to touch and re-form the areas of our lives that are most close to us and aren't used to divine touch. God is helping us to let go of some areas of our lives that have not been healthy and that is resulting in some growing pains for us. I can't go into detail right now, but ask you who are reading this to offer a prayer to God right now for strength and wisdom for us both. You can pray for us individually, for our marriage, and for our future. Thanks.

6 comments:

Trev and Rebekah said...

I'm here if you need to chat!
I often wonder why it seems I need to relearn lessons. Why am I still not who I want to be. I am thankful that God is the Potter and that He is at work in my life.

Marsha said...

AWW! You guys taught me this song! I miss you and your family. I am praying for you both. And I am so proud of you (i don't mean that in an undermining way...you know?) Can't wait to see you and Lennox so soon now!

Unknown said...

Definitely first learned this song in Hudson Bay, probably at your side.

Niki, I'm offering up a prayer for you, Nathan, your marriage and your future right now. Wish I had a chance to get to know your husband better, and you for longer, but I'm glad you blog so I get a bit of a peek!

Love from Alberta,

Jill

Anonymous said...

Hey there...I think being married is God's way of rounding off our corners every once in a while. The other person helps us see where we need to change! And as long as you keep wanting to do God's will in your life and marriage...everything will be OK even if it hurts a bit right now.

Sabrina said...

Thinking of you two today. Looking forward to seeing you in a few weeks.

S.

Anonymous said...

That song brings back lots of memories and it's so true how the things we learn as children (songs especially) stick with us and are brought back to mind when we really need them. Thinking of and praying for you both.