Saturday, October 21, 2006

She's back!

I'm back! It feels like I've been gone from the blogging world for so long (It's been a week, if I'm not mistaken)...wonder if that means I'm working again...??? : )
When I quit at Friesens at the end of June, I stayed on as casual, so about a month ago they called me and asked if I could work for three days, full time, doing a project for the invoicing department. No problem! It was something to fill some hours with. So I went in Wednesday, Thurdsday and Friday.
That Wednesday, the HR department asked if I could work the next week full time because the HR department was needing some extra help. Good, sure, no problem. The whole next week, I worked mornings at reception while the other receptionist helped HR and in the afternoons, I worked on the invoicing project.
I show up on Friday of that first week and there is a message for me to call Nathan at home...I had gone out for breakfast with the other pastors' wives so I hadn't seen him much yet that morning. He says, "Good morning. Guess what?" I say, "What?" He says, "Remember this morning when I thought it was raining like crazy and then I stepped outside and it was dry?" I say, "Yeah..." He says, "Well, I went downstairs to turn off a light and the floor was wet so I looked at the water heater and it is split down the side and water is pouring out." My first reaction, "Ok."
So, I suddenly realized why I was working all those unexpected hours! It was to pay for the new water heater! God really knows what he's doing, eh?
Later that day, the morning receptionist comes up to me and sheepishly asks me if I can work mornings for the entire next week because HR wasn't quite caught up. No problem! We'll need this money to pay for the water heater! So I work the next week, thinking, "This has to be the last week!"
Well, Friday of that week rolls around and another sheepish morning receptionist asks me for another week of my time. I figure that I've worked this long, I may as well keep going and pay off the car while I'm at it. So, another week under my belt...and there's no way they'll need me for yet another!
I was wrong. One more week. I emailed the HR manager, asking how much longer she figured this would go on, because while I don't mind helping out, I would love to be able to make plans and not always be wondering if I'll be working or not. So she says, this week, maybe next week too...Ok, so now I have some idea. It must be drawing to a close. Thursday comes..."Niki, does Monday, Wednesday and Friday work for you?" SCORE!!! No problem!
So, the point of that story is to say that it finally looks like my working schedule is drawing to a close. I really enjoyed being back, but some mornings get pretty long when all I have to do is read my book and answer the phone. Tough life, eh?

No comments: