Monday, September 18, 2006

Rain, Rain, and...muddy pawprints?!

Fall is in full swing here in Altona. Well, I’m sure it is all over Canada by now. Didn’t I hear that Edmonton got snow? Ouch. With this nice wet fall weather this year comes something that I never missed while not having a dog. Wet, muddy paw prints on my clothes as I’m heading out the door to church. Lennox is a wonderful dog, but, like all puppies, sometimes he gets so excited about seeing people that he forgets all of the training we’ve already given him. On the dry days he’s perfectly well-behaved, but then on rainy days I think the changing weather affects him (like it does kids) and he’s bouncing off the walls, or, as the case may be, off my white Sunday pants.

This past week, my parents were out from Hudson Bay. It was really good to see them. They arrived on my birthday (what a wonderful present) with a piano in tow! It magically kept it’s tune through two nights outside on the back of a truck and an eight hour drive. I’ve already been playing quite a bit and can already feel my skills and abilities returning! I thought it would take a lot longer after not playing for two years, but all those long hours of practice, practice, practice in high school are paying off (thanks, Lenora!). One of my dreams when I was in high school was to play at weddings someday. Wouldn’t that be an awesome job?! I’ll have to practice many more hours and days and years before I could be hired to do that though!

We’re right in the middle of the busy September that we’ve been dreading. With two youth nights each week plus most Tuesdays and weekends booked, we’re feeling like we’ve hit a brick wall as far as our schedule goes. But it’s fun. I’m enjoying youth much more so far this year. I feel like I know my place a bit more so I can pour myself in a bit more instead of just taking my cues from other people. This coming weekend, Nathan and I, along with three of our other youth leaders are going to the annual EMMC youth leaders retreat. This year it is at Camp Arnes. It’s nice that we’re closer to home this year, but last year, going to Saskatchewan for it was a pleasant return to our homeland.

I’m still going through the book of Ecclesiastes, taking one chapter each day. It’s still just a fascinating book. Solomon really stresses the meaningless of life when it’s not lived in/through/with God. I think about it and it’s true. If you’re poor, you just want to become more wealthy and if you’re rich, what does that help because when you die you leave it all behind anyway! So why work and save up more money than you’ll ever need? It’s much more meaningful to take that extra money that you’ll never use and put it to work in Africa or inner city or your church or anywhere! That said, saving and investing is a wise thing to do too, because it’s one thing to be smart about the future and it’s another thing to save up millions just to brag that you have millions. So eat, drink and enjoy the fruits of your labour for these things are gifts from God! What a wonderful command! God commands us to celebrate!

No comments: