Friday, August 04, 2006

Singing in the Rain...



I love thunder storms ("thunder-bangers" as I've heard them called down here in Southern MB). I remember when I was little, my sister and brother and I would all stand at our big living room window during thunder storms and watch the lightning hit our neighbour's house (sorry, Grahams). We loved thunder storms and I still do (and I imagine Alicia and Andrew still do too, they just don't talk about it). Anyway, this morning, Nathan and I woke up to some pretty awesome thunder (p.s.-Nathan loves thunder storms too). I thought it was just going to pass, so I was excited but didn't expect to get to see much of it. THE STORM LASTED ALL MORNING!!!!! I sat on my chair by the window and did my devos and watched the most amazing storm of the summer. Then, I baked muffins (Strawberry banana chocolate chip...funny story: I started baking and then I realized that I didn't have any butter milk...I don't usually have buttermilk when I make them, but I didn't have any milk either...or powdered milk...or cream, so I turned to the front of my cookbook and it said that I could use plain yogurt instead...great! I had some yogurt!...only it was strawberry. Oh well. I figured strawberry banana is a pretty regular flavor in lots of things, so I put strawberry yogurt into my banana chocolate chip muffins...very yummy, by the way...worth trying the next time you don't have buttermilk!) Anyway...where was I? Oh, yeah, I baked myself muffins for breakfast during this storm, hoping that the power would stay on long enough for them to bake thoroughly...it did. Then, I had a letter that I had to mail before the weekend. What was I going to do? It was raining like it has never rained before! Hmm...wait until the afternoon and hope it lets up? How boring is that?! I grabbed my umbrella and my letter and braved the storm. Is it bad to hold up an umbrella in an electrical storm? I wasn't sure but I thought it might be similar to holding up a golf club, so I made sure I only touched the plastic handle, just in case. So, long story short, I made it to the post office and back, crossing many small streams and rivers and lakes in order to get there. My shoes were soaked completely through and my pants were wet up to my knees (which isn't really that high, really, because I'm not too tall...) and it was so much fun! Everyone else was driving and taking shelter and I found joy in taking a walk in the rain. And it's a good thing I did go this morning, because now it's sunny. Go figure!

So, speaking of rain, you could all pray that we don't get rain while we're up at St. Laurent this week. Eight youth and four of us leaders are leaving tomorrow to do VBS in a community north of Winnipeg. The guys and Nathan and I are tenting, so hopefully it won't be wet. That could really put a damper on the week. You could also pray that it isn't too hot because the church doesn't have air conditioning. Nathan and I will be used to that because, well, we live that way, but our youth might faint. Pray that no one faints...we need all the help we can get!

Well, I should get going...but remember, if it's ever raining like crazy and flooding everything, take advantage of it and go for a walk! (unless it's actually flooding...then maybe evacuate)

No comments: