Monday, May 29, 2006

Men smell flowers too???

So I was standing at the kitchen sink today, doing the dishes from a youth potluck we had last night, thinking about what I need to do in the next couple days and how tired I'm going to be after the next couple days (and how tired I am now just thinking about it)...and I looked out the window and saw our neighbour across the street. Our neighbour is a tall man, middle-aged, and, as far as I know, single. I don't know his name. He's nice though. Whenever he sees us outside, he smiles and waves and says hi. That's nice of him. I don't know what he does for a living either...Patti, our friend who used to live in this house, once told me that he's an artist or something. That would make sense. Anyway, out my window I often see him do this very exact same thing, but today it just hit me differently. He walked out of his house, almost as if he was bored, or lonely, or waiting for someone to arrive any minute. He stood just outside his door on his driveway and looked around, not in a creepy or crazy sort of way...just as if he had all the time in the world. Then, he casually walked over the the nearest flowerpot and looked at the flowers and touched them and bent down and smelled them (and maybe even talked to them...I wasn't close enough to tell). It's like he really enjoys his flowers! Then he walked around the side of his house and eventually came around the other side. Then, he went back inside. I thought for a while how strange and random this seemed...this action was so unlike what anyone under 60 years of age would do in our world today! Then it hit me. I often focus so much on how busy I am and how tired I am that I forget to appreciate the wonderful things that God has put in my life...things like salvation, and grace, and Nathan, and our house, and summer, and even just the fact that our grass is growing and not dead!!! He probably doesn't take those things for granted! Our neighbour is a good neighbour. He's a reminder, just outside my window, to stop and smell the flowers...just as if I have nothing better to do.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey niki i just wanted to give you the address to my online journal.. not very interesting but its only fair haha http://mapleblondie.livejournal.com/

Nikki said...

Hey Niki
nice blog
check mine out from time to tim
troubled-heart.blogspot.com