Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes….Announcements regarding…life…

By now, many of you know a bit about who I am. You probably have an idea of where I live (creepy?) and what my husband and I do for a living. You may even know that I have a dog, Lennox. Well, a lot of that is about to change. My world is going to be turned upside down…and I’m curiously, cautiously excited about it.

For the last 3 ½ years, Nathan and I have been living in southern MB, 3 of those years in our beautiful little house on Second Street. I’ve been working in the office at a lumber yard. Nathan has been the youth pastor at one of the churches here. I’ve been teaching piano lessons to some great girls one afternoon a week. Life is usually very routine, and I like it.

On Sunday, we resigned from the church. We had been feeling that God was giving us the ok to move on, but with fall’s circumstances, we pushed these thoughts aside and focused on healing and being here. In January, we re-opened the “future” package and took a long, hard look inside. What is God calling us to do now? We were prepared to set aside all thoughts of moving on if that was what God was asking us to do. After much prayer and many hours of talking through different possibilities, we felt that God was calling us back to school.

We are hoping to sell our house this spring and move in late June/early July. We have to be here for this next grade 12 grad…these are the youth who were in grade 9 when we started here. We’ve been with them all the way through senior youth (minus this year). In August, we hope to move as much stuff as we can pack into our little Toyota Corolla and make the long trek to Fresno, California. Mennonite Brethren Biblical Seminary is calling our name. Nathan will take their two year Master of Theology program. This will allow him to either continue on in pastoral ministry or to work in a Bible College setting. At this point, we’re not sure where we will be after seminary. I guess it could be anywhere!

But so far this email has been so formal. That’s kinda how announcements are. Tell what’s happening…share the details. Now it’s time for what I’m thinking about it!

Like I said before, I’m “curiously, cautiously excited.” I feel peace about the decision. I feel supported by the church and by our families and friends. I feel excited about the thought of experiencing something so new and different very soon. But I am also curious about what it will be like. I don’t know all the details about the move (which I don’t feel like I need to know…it’s not stressing me out) but I’m curious as to how it will all play out. I’m cautious because I don’t want my excitement to cloud the last few months I have here in town. I want to make the most of my time here, because I have some wonderful friends and I love life. I don’t want to look back and wish that I’d been more present here instead of always having my mind in the future.

It feels good to have people know what our thoughts are for the future. It was getting more and more tough to always be guarding what we were saying. Now we can mention selling the house and school and moving and we really don’t have to worry about who hears.

Well, that’s our news! Anyone know someone who wants to buy a house in our town?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

First of all - I'm very excited for you guys and very happy the decision is made and official!
Secondy, if you could move your house to Martensville and sell it to us for Altona house prices, then YES we will buy it!

Alicia Buhler said...

Ch..Ch..Ch..Changes. Does this mean that your blog title will have to change too?

I'm very excited for you. May you experience the peace that passes all understanding.

Janelle said...

that is awesome. :) :)
very excited for you guys & all the growth that will happen as a result!
i grew up in Fresno, and really wish i could go back & visit! maybe now i'll have to come out to visit you! :) :)
can't wait to see how this journey goes for you! soooo exciting!

Anonymous said...

Ah - even further away (not that I ever got to/will get to visit you in MB). That sounds very exciting!