Thursday, January 29, 2009

My latest project...

So, I've always wanted a glider to rock my children in. So last summer, Nathan found one at a friend's garage sale and they only wanted $10 for it! It was pretty squeaky and the screws were loose/missing...and it was ugly. Behold, a closeup of the original fabric...

But it was a glider for $10!

We got it home and the first thing I did was buy new fabric and padding for it.

Then, I took off the old fabric to use as a pattern. Unfortunately, or maybe fortunately (because it's funny), I decided to iron out the old one so it would be easier to cut around. Oops.

Apparently that particular fabric melts upon contact with a hot iron.

Well, I got that cleaned up and continued. I had the chair done by the end of summer, but I needed a heavy duty stapler for the footrest, so I put it off. Finally, earlier this week, I bought some furniture nails from work and got to work on the footrest, using nails instead of staples. And voila!


Can't wait for the day I get to use it!

5 comments:

Stacey said...

That looks much better! We bought our glider at a garage sale for $10 too, and it's been awesome. I don't have the foot rest though, and wish I did.

Anonymous said...

That's really nice! I like it a lot!! Good work!

Anonymous said...

That's amazing Niki! You never cease to amaze me! If I can find a glider for 10 bucks can you please make it all cool and plaid for me?

Trev and Rebekah said...

Looks great!
You are talented!

Sister C said...

I had that exact same chair and I gave it away to my mom because i thought it was ugly.. never throught recovering it could look so good. Great job.