Friday, December 05, 2008

A bit of an update...no more of this silliness...

Every once in a while, I need a bit of a break from blogging. That's when I end up writing about people in banks, and being uninspired. It's because I'm just that...uninspired. Well, uninspired, or just not knowing how to put into words what's happening in life. Or feeling like there IS nothing happening in life! But for whichever reason I choose, it's time for a bit of an update, so behold...an update:

I am just coming out from under a cold. First cold of the season for me. It's not completely gone yet, but for the first time in about a week, I can breathe out of both my nostrils and haven't blown my nose in the past hour. Doing good. I've really felt like I'm under water for a while...everything echoes in my head and my nose keeps dripping, yet never drips enough to be unplugged. Ick. Anyway, I'm feeling better today, so moving on...

Last night, Nathan and I had the opportunity (or privilege) to visit some friends of ours in Rosenort. M & A were just married in September (on my birthday!). They invited us over for supper and an evening of playing Wii and catching up. This was a great evening and very extra special, because A was our first (former) youth to get married. It's amazing to see her being a family with her husband and them making their own home. They've done so well, and I am excited to see where life takes them.

For us, lately, life has not been much of anything. Nathan will finish his third full week at Loewen's today. He's basically counting down the weeks and lives for the weekends. I find that it's already taking a toll on me too. I find that, even though we have basically every evening together, I still don't see enough of him. I may be the only one out there but 4-5 hours a day with the man I love just isn't enough! It seems all we do these days is work, have supper, clean up from supper, do nothing for two hours (because we're both tired) and then Nathan makes his lunch, I shower, and we go to bed. I don't know how some married couples keep it together only seeing each other for an hour or two a day! I guess that's why so many marriages end in divorce these days. Couples are set up to break. Work takes so much of both the husband and wife's time and energy that, once they get home, they just crash and turn off their minds. Marriage takes work, and even more so when time together isn't built into our everyday lives. I'm wondering if there is something to be said for one person in a couple working less hours a day outside the home than the other so that they can put more time and energy into making the home. I guess we could call this idea "homemaking". Such a traditional word, but I'm realizing just how blessed I am to have a job where I can leave work early or put in shorter hours in order to keep our home "made."

Christmas is coming soon. We're getting very excited about that. We still have a bit of shopping to do, but nothing major. We're not home enough for it to be worth alot of Christmas baking, but the house is decorated, and I'm enjoying the glow of the Christmas tree every evening! I guess Christmas letters should be written very soon...otherwise I'll be sending out new years letters yet again. I try not to stress too much this time of year though. That's not what Christmas is for, so why worry about it? For me, Christmas is about celebrating our Saviour's birth with friends and family. Decorations, baking, letters, gifts and everything else is nice, but if it's going to make the celebration aspect less, it's not worth it.

So there you have it. A quick update from the McCorkindales. There's not much going on, but at least now you all know that for yourselves!

Hope you're all enjoying the weeks leading up to Christmas! God bless!

4 comments:

Trev and Rebekah said...

Glad you are feeling a little bit better?! We have the colds and sore throats over here. It's such a bad season for being sick around Christmas.

Anonymous said...

Hi Niki! Not that it's a big shock, but I know M & A. M works for my dad, actually he works the job that used to be mine before I had James! They are two very beautiful people - even though I don't know A as well.

Alicia Buhler said...

You have inspired me to update my blog about my life - our ordinariness or mundane is usually quite interesting to others, so thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

Know what else needs a little update, love? The photo blog :)