Monday, October 02, 2006

Nathan's little surprises...

So Nathan tried to surprise me. I have to write "tried" because it never seems to work out that he actually surprises me. It's never his fault that I'm not surprised, but I'd hardly say it's my fault either. :D
See, what happens is I'm a girl, so I notice things. I don't mean to, it just happens. For example, about this time two years ago, I just happened to notice that Nathan's car was missing one day from the dorm parking lot. Naturally, I thought, "Oh, he must have gone into Saskatoon to pick up my engagement ring...why else would his car be gone and I not know where he went?" This is a classic example. It happens every time (so far). I didn't try to figure out why his car was gone...it just made sense! Why else? -Oh, wait a minute...I can't say every time. This one time, while we were dating, Nathan made me a wonderful steak dinner, served in his parents' basement (because there was no where else), and there were candles everywhere and he had to tell me before we started eating that he wasn't going to propose that night so I could relax enough to enjoy myself. That time I was surprised! Anyway...
This time, I happened to notice an email from my friend Marsha in Nate's junkmail. He was scrolling through really fast and I wasn't even really watching, but how can you not notice your best friends' name??? It's so familiar!!! I asked him about it and he said they'd been emailing a bit. Of course I pressed him, because why would they just randomly be emailing when I hadn't been getting any emails from Marsha myself? It just didn't make sense! So, finally Nathan told me that he'd simply sent her an email thanking her for calling me on my birthday (and making me feel special) and that was that. Sure, that sounds like something Nathan would do, and I would have left it at that, only he said that there was something secret in his email so I shouldn't be looking AND he wouldn't tell me if it was work-related or what, so I started thinking, like any girl would, that he was keeping secrets, just because. I kinda brushed it off though, thinking it was nothing really.
Then, when we were waiting for the doors to open at Blue Like Jazz Live (VERY good, by the way) and he said that something else was a secret and that he couldn't tell me. That really made me upset because why, just for no apparent reason, did he all of a sudden have all these secrets? And all he would say about them was "Don't worry about it." Don't worry about it?! So I sat there, while enjoying the performance thoroughly, also thoroughly ticked at my husband who was suddenly hiding things from me.
When we got home, I let him know how upset I was (he was shocked and had no clue what he did). I asked him if he would please tell me why he had all these secrets. He told me they weren't work related or just because, so the only other thing was that he was planning a "surprise" for me. Once I knew that, I put it together with the random email from Marsha and asked him when she was coming. He just hid his face under his pillow (because he couldn't lie with a straight face) and asked me what I was talking about. So then I knew. That's how I figure his surprises out. It's just as disappointing for me as it is for him, let me tell you. I just appreciate SO much that he tries! He's such a wonderful husband! I wouldn't trade him for anyone else! It's been an unbeatable year and four and a half months of marriage!
Needless to say, once I realized that he was flying my friend out to me as a surprise (and with his own allowance), I felt horrible about being so mad at him and ruining his surprise. It bothered me ALL day. Talk about embarassing! My poor Nathan took it really well though, and says that in another two years he might try to think of another surprise for me.

For Nate's version of the story, visit his blog by following the link on the side of my blog, or go to officehourthoughts.blogspot.com. Enjoy!

No comments: